Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day 2 - Day of Disaster

Were it not for the Nullarbor Golf Experience we would not have gone in to Fraser Range Station.

A delightful spot about 100 kms east of Norseman this would be lovely place to stop for a few days. Their hole is short downhill par 3, and easy little hole. Warning - do not overhit! My tee shot did not go into the dry creek at the back but stayed in a pile of dirt. Once I got to the green it was easy except for the pace of the artificial green. A 1.5 metre downhill putt became a 2 metre uphill putt which I missed.

On to Balladonia with one of the more challenging par 3's you will find anywhere. The 175 metres of fairway, and then a gentle approach. Don't be too long, there's salt bush. Don't lay up (unless you are dead straight) there's dead trees and dirt. Oh- avoid being left of right there are trees and scrub there too.


Having struck my tee shot long and left the first challenge was to find the ball. Here my photographer came to the rescue, and we managed to escape with a bogey.


Caiguna offered some respite, a short par 4 dogleg left. How far to the turn? No idea. Solution, a little draw. Problem it went straight - and about 40 metres through the fairway into the scrub. At leas I found it, and managed to get closer to the hole, but not close enough. Another chip and I was on the green, but two putts was satisfactory.




Cocklebiddy looked scary, but there was little scrub, more like a runway than a fairway. The challenge was to clear the 180 plus metres of natural grasses to reach short stuff (or the absence of stuff really). At least here I avoided the long stuff and managed the fairway and my first par for the day.

No comments: