Thursday, June 25, 2009

Amby Adventure

As magnificent as our walk through the gorge was I spent time reflecting on the difference between his part of our year and the earlier stay in Africa. My one word answer is people.

On our way to Mitchell we stopped to check out the 'no horse' golf course at Amby I had read about. There I had some people time.

'Scrubber' and Paddy were packing up their golf cart when we arrived, but were happy to give it another run. We followed them across the railway tracks and on to the golf course. A few hours later our 9 holes was over, and 'Scrubber' beat me by 3. While local knowledge played some part, and my errors made it easier 'Scrubber's accuracy to the greens and ability to play on the 'sand greens' was decisive. Along the way I learned a little about life in the central west of Queensland. Thanks 'Scrubber'.

Why is it the 'no horse' golf course? The course was once the centre for lot of sports, including gymkhanas. With a decline in the population and change in the community the area is now exclusively given over exclusively to golf. Hoof marks and golf really don't go together.

No comments: