Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Golf in Lusaka

Three months in Afica... three months without golf... three golf courses in Lusaka. With days running out the possibility of actually playing golf in Africa raised its head - so I checked out the golf clubs. As it turned out Lusaka was the best option...but getting information about access and cost was a problem.

Try the internet: no phone number and no reply to my email
Try the phonebook: no number listed
Call Zambia Tourism: their best advice was "Call directory information"
Call Directory Information: they gave me two numbers but neither of them worked!

So I rang a couple of the better hotels near the course - they had no contact numbers.
The most help I got came from the ex-captain of Chianama Hills Golf Club (his number was on the net). Roll up around 8 a.m., and it will cost around 60,000 kwacha. He was partly right...8.00 a.m. was a good time to roll up.

On the before we left Africa I fronted at Lusaka Golf Club at 7.30 a.m. Just on 10.00 a.m. I was in the clubhouse after playing 18 holes, with a score of ten over (no birdies, double bogey, bogey finish with 3 putts on the last!!!).
A nice course, relatively flat with some interesting holes, and greens that putted truly.

The cost...105,000 kwacha green fees, 50,000 for the caddy, 80,000 the hire of clubs, and 50,000 for a bag of pre-loved golf balls (and I used ONE!) - a total of around $60 AU.


Was it worth it? Yes, I have now played golf in Lusaka, AND supported a couple of Zambian families in the process.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

How could I possibly have missed a story about you playing golf in Africa.... you didn't mention this upon your return!!! GOLF?

Sarah x